AUGIE EDITORIAL SERVICES January 1993-present
Independent contractor writing marketing collateral, emails, sales copy, articles, and blog posts as well as copyediting books, articles, and promotional materials for clients including Access Intelligence, Condé Nast, Epsilon, Royal Mail, Stagnito Media, Vacation Rental Pros, and Warburg Realty. Wrote two nonfiction children’s books for Scholastic and published a novel for adults.
ONE KINGS LANE February 2011–present
Senior brand editor for this online seller of home furnishings and gifts.
• Write, edit, and copyedit sales, editorial, email, and marketing copy.
• Responsible for maintaining a consistent brand voice across all materials.
• Created style guide that includes dictionary of materials, decor styles, and industry-specific terms and primer on copywriting essentials.
Promoted from senior reviewer and copywriter.
PENTON MEDIA February 2010-February 2011
Editor at large for the CHIEF MARKETER, DIRECT, and MULTICHANNEL MERCHANT print and online franchises.
• Produced the weekly EMAIL ESSENTIALS enewsletter, which entailed researching and writing articles and editing contributed features. Increased subscriptions and clickthrough rates by more than 20%.
• Wrote articles covering all aspects of marketing and contributed to blog.
• Regularly updated websites.
• Used social media to significantly boost page views and brand awareness.
CATALOGUE DEVELOPMENT CENTRE June 2007-January 2010
Editorial director of CATALOGUE E-BUSINESS, a British print and online franchise covering multichannel commerce.
• Was responsible for all aspects of editorial, including planning and editing content, developing articles with industry experts, writing features and display copy, and copyediting all pages.
• Upgraded content to present more actionable, sophisticated editorial that better reflected the industry. This included repaginating the magazine, adding departments and columnists, and working with the art director on a redesign.
• Worked with web developer and designer to relaunch the website. Introduced content such as a daily news roundup and a blog, and reorganized site structure to improve usability and create a greater range of potential advertising packages. Website traffic more than doubled following relaunch.
• Launched INSIGHT and CROSS-ATLANTIC INSIGHT, enewsletters offering tactical and strategic business advice.
• Initiated social-networking tactics to increase awareness of the brand.
PRISM BUSINESS MEDIA December 1995-June 2007
Editorial director of MULTICHANNEL MERCHANT, an award-winning print and online franchise covering multichannel commerce, and editor of CHIEF MARKETER REPORT, a weekly enewsletter for top-level marketing executives.
• Was responsible for all aspects of MULTICHANNEL MERCHANT’s editorial, from planning the content of the magazine’s 12 issues a year to editing and signing off on every article and layout.
• Came in under budget each fiscal year.
• Managed a staff of six.
• Hosted webinars and worked with the sales and marketing teams to generate concepts and content for online and print supplements and other special products.
• With publisher, spearheaded rebranding of magazine (from CATALOG AGE) and revamping of editorial mix to better reflect changing marketplace and broaden coverage.
• Launched THE ETAILER, a custom publication for WBR’s eTail conference series, creating the editorial mix and overseeing editorial production.
• Reintroduced and edited THE CATALOG AGE/MULTICHANNEL MERCHANT 150, an annual book examining the 150 largest catalogers in the United States.
• Spoke at conferences and with the consumer media.
• As founding editor of I.MERCHANT, a bimonthly supplement focusing on ecommerce techniques and strategies, created the editorial mix of the publication and developed a stable of contributors.
• As founding editor of CHIEF MARKETER REPORT, created the editorial mix and was responsible for generating and editing all content. Worked with internet team in developing the website.
Promoted from senior managing editor. As such, oversaw the day-to-day aspects of editorial production. Assigned articles, worked with writers, and ensured that all deadlines were met. Promoted from managing editor and features editor.